One of the reasons for creating this website was to force myself to organize our Machins. The end result is a series of album pages catered to different levels of collecting. A checklist of features found in the four sets of album pages appears below.
This is just one way to organize your Machin collection. I am not saying that is the best way for you; it is just one method and it works for me. Many collectors will develop their own pages. Many may use stock books, which allows for the easy movement of stamps as new varieties are issued.
Every effort is made to have these album pages as complete and accurate as possible. Corrections and additions are made as necessary. I apologize for any errors that may still be lurking within the pages.
Note: If you are mounting mint self-adhesive Machins with the original backing paper, do *not* cut the backing paper to fit any album spaces; always cut your mount to fit the original sized Machin stamp with backing paper.
By purchasing and downloading these page you acknowledge you are using them for your own personal use.
For the more advanced collector or the collector of bulk used material, you could use these pages as a guide in the initial sorting of your accumulation. These pages are free for the downloading.
Varieties separated at this 'level' include self-adhesives, the EME-image, perforation differences, printing methods, and tagging (2-band, 1-band, colour of tagging).
There are spaces for about 1,150 different single stamps presented in the 'Novice' album pages.
Two sets of of album pages are available: organized by 'type' (that is, within each country, all '2-band' phosphors are grouped together, all 'center band' phosphors are grouped together, etc.) and by 'denomination'.
view 4-page PDF sample by 'denomination'
The 'Intermediate' album adds spaces for a few more varieties that can generally be easy to 'see': source of the stamp (i.e. coil, booklet pane, or sheet), Head and country symbol types, screened values, back prints.
This set gives spaces for over 1,400 different single stamps, sorted by denomination.
In addition, you can download a "no picture" set of these pages, at no extra charge (i.e. included). That is, a set of pages without the stamp images, in case you are concerned about hinging your used stamps to an image that may transfer from a printed page to the back of your stamp.
The 'Specialized' album is for the collector who enjoys a challenge. It features one example of nearly every regularly issued variety (errors, complete booklets and booklet panes excluded).
Included here are the different gum types, each booklet position (for straight and cut sides), perforation style, etc. Small images of all booklet panes are illustrated on the respective pages (see PDF sample).
This set of album pages are organized by denomination. All of the various varieties for a single denomination/colour are found on the same page (or, in some cases, several pages!).
Actually, there are 3 types of pages (you can download all for the one price of $60, if you wish):
Five separate PDF files for each type will be provided: Pre-decimal, Decimal, Anniversary, NVI, and Regionals.
The pages for the Horizon labels are very generic due to the number of different varieties that exist (but not yet fully known). You decide which page(s) to print. Click to download.
Direction of print, errors and varieties, perfins, non-Great Britain Machins, booklet panes.
Album Feature Comparison
(narrow vs wide)
(and ACP, PCP, PPP)
(coil, booklet, sheet)
(OCP, FCP, PCP1 vs 2)
|Phosphor width (8mm vs 9.5mm, etc.)|
|Perforation style (APS, Kampf)|
|Phosphor screen (150, 250)|
|Cost for colour PDF file||Free||
|Canadian $45||Canadian $60|
| Click for PDF file
|Upgrade to next level by paying just the difference ... click for upgrade options and PayPal buttons.|
After payment on PayPal site you will be sent to a new page
here to download a
PDF file that you can print at your leisure. Check back regularly for free
Upon PayPal payment I will send a
personalized thank you e-mail.
All additions and updates are free.
(A 'blank' page, with header, is included)
Album files are in PDF format - Free Adobe Acrobat Reader required.
* pages are designed for 8 1/2 x 11 inches.
* pages are 'secured' Adobe PDF which allows you to print, but not copy/alter. I wish I could provide them as non-secured, but am cognizant of the high risk of theft. Wouldn't you want to protect your work?
* you print the pages at your leisure on the paper of your choosing; printed pages are not supplied.
* all updated pages will require re-mounting of stamps from your existing pages to the new pages.
* after payment, PayPal should re-direct you to the appropriate set of pages (I will also confirm receipt of payment and the link with an e-mail, usually within 24 hours).
* all future updates are free.
* no catalogue numbers are presented as there are several to choose from and they are subject to change.
* all issue dates are shown as "Mar 13/11" (month day/year).
* see the "Album Feature Comparison" below for the amount of specialization found on each set of pages.
* each set is 'unique' and quite different from the others. That is, the Intermediate set does not 'add on' or 'fit into' the Novice due to the number of different varieties.
* the pages are not presented in date (i.e. year) order.
* actual stamps are not included (yes, I have been asked this a couple of times!).
* sorry, the pages are only available in English.
* you print the pages; not myself. Actual stamps and/or mounts are not included.
Header: Aurea Inline 18pt
Titles: Univers 12pt bold
Printing/perf: Adobe Garamond Pro 9pt
Colour, captions (dates, etc.): Arial Narrow
For even more varieties on Machin stamps, check out The Complete Deegam Machin Handbook
(simply the best Machin
handbook available anywhere) by Douglas Myall - click for details.
Booklet pane numbers used courtesy the
Modern British Philatelic Circle
who publish 'The Bookmark' Catalogue
© 1996-2021, 2022 Robin Harris
Adminware is a trademark of Adminware Corporation.